Welcome!

I plan to post topics regarding trends in distance education, as well as other information that pertains to enabling learners learn in a "non-traditional" environment!

Wednesday 23 May 2012

MOBILE LEARNING – A “Disuptive Innovation” or just a fad?




My quest for innovations in distance education sent me in the direction of how mobile phones were used in a distance education English as an additional language course in China to increase interactivity. I wanted to learn more and further research has led me to learn that this is an emerging discipline in itself.

I came across an interesting post on a blog called “MindShift: How We Will Learn” written by Tina Barseghian entitled “How Teachers Make Cell Phones Work in the Classroom”.  Even though I am most concerned with how these devices are used with regards to distance education and how they can enhance student learning, she mentions other things mobile learning involves of interest to such as digital citizenship, internet safety, and teaching techniques, among others.

My last post involved a study where mobile learning technology enhanced the learning experience for both learners and the instructor involved in a Chinese University English course available for students to take remotely.  I was skeptical about how such technology could be used in the maths and sciences, but Barseghian gives an example of how a chemistry instructor uses it successfully in his classes giving me extra food for thought.  He uses an iPad to record his voice and explanations when students ask him for individual help and immediately uploads them to his website so other students can benefit from the individualized questions.  The students then take multiple choice exams and send their answers in via text messaging. The results are then immediately posted on his laptop and sent directly to the overhead screen giving automatic feedback.  I could definitely try this approach in my math or calculus classes.

DOES IT WORK EVERY TIME?

The Chinese English as an Additional Language Study (last post) provided evidence that mobiles enhanced interaction and learning of the students involved.  I tried to find some information to see where it did not work as well so I could have both viewpoints.  

I had concerns whether the initial fun factor of using the phones would last or soon die off.  Ramsay Musallam, the chemistry instructor involved, addresses this issue.  He admits that it is “cute and fun and that wears off” but that it is “more efficient and meaningful, and it makes the classroom feel like a bigger place”.  He also refers to the tool as a way he can keep in constant contact with his students.  I agree with this stance but, at the same time, when I was reading about the Chinese study (see last post), I couldn’t help but think that there has to be times when the fun factor is lost.  Actually,  the first thing I thought about was “what about those who don’t own any digital devices”?  I have many students in my classes who don’t own any digital devices.  Would they be excluded?  The first solution I came up with is to put the students in groups, but, that limits the instructor to group evaluation.  This is consistent with constructivist theory, but, it is not suitable at all times depending on the topic.

Paul Barnwell addresses this issue.  He tried the approach with his 8th grade class but later abandoned it.  He admits that the students were engaged, but, that students without devices could not participate as easily (unless put into groups) and that some students took advantage of the anonymous nature of the system providing them with an opportunity to text inappropriate messages.  He sees little benefit to using mobiles for polling purposes and felt that it “wasn’t worth the time or the hassle”.

From my own experience in distance education I asked the question, “What if the technology fails?”  Instructors must have back-up plans in case of the inevitable failure of some part of the technology.  Is this something an instructor should RELY on?

Is it something worth trying in your classroom?  I would like to give it a go, but, at this point I feel that I need to learn a bit more before I dive into this emerging discipline.  Are there other pros and cons that we can add to using mobile phones to learn in class or from a distance?

Check out this link: 



3 comments:

  1. You know what, Faron? Here is a guy I want you to meet:

    http://www.bio.purdue.edu/bionews/?p=461

    I'll tell you the story sometime, but some of the struggles you are working through here are things he dealt with decades ago. That's not a put-down. It's an invitation.

    Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by the way, from the category of idle advice you may want to ignore:

    You ask: " I would like to give it a go, but, at this point I feel that I need to learn a bit more before I dive into this emerging discipline"

    My advice? Give it a go and see what happens! Teach the discipline!

    ReplyDelete